Translate

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Porcupine Meatballs

This recipe is the very first meal that I made  (about a million years ago)  when I was about 14 or 15 years old.  My mom had a very hard time getting me into the kitchen so that she could teach me to cook. So, one day, out of the blue, she handed me a cookbook and told me to pick out something that I thought I could handle making by myself because she was going to be busy all day and she needed me to make dinner.  HA!   Very sly, that one!  :)  (I'm sure that she was secretly praying the entire time that I wouldn't burn down the house)

Anyway....I found the recipe the other day and realized that I had NEVER , in my 24 years of marriage, made this for my family!  So, I made it for dinner last night.  :)





And, here is the recipe :

Porcupine Meatballs

1 lb lean ground beef
1/2 cup white rice
2 TBS worcestershire sauce (divided in half)
1small onion, diced
1 TBS garlic powder
1 egg, beaten
2 small cans of tomato soup
2 soup cans of water

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In bowl, combine ground beef, rice, 1 tbsp of worcestershire sauce, onion, garlic powder, and egg.  Make meatballs from this mixture and place them in a 9x13 baking pan/ dish.  In another bowl, mix together soup, water and remaining 1 tbsp of worcestershire sauce.  Pour this over the meatballs.  Cover the pan with foil and bake at 400 for 45 minutes.  Remove foil and bake for 15 additional minutes at 425 degrees.

I served this with baked potatoes, steamed brocolli and homemade bread.  The hubby LOVED it and wondered why I had never made it before!  Needless to say, it will now be added to our revolving menu.  :)

2 comments:

  1. My grandmother used to make this for me when I visited her. I loved it yet have never made it for my family either. I will have to get busy on that as it looks delicious! (Found you through Homestead Barn Hop and I look forward to reading future posts!)

    ReplyDelete