Translate

Sunday, February 10, 2013

What we did on a snowy Sunday....

Today has been one of those days that just kinda happened as the day went on.  No real plans...no schedules..... just stuff.

My daughter awoke with an idea that she wanted to make pancakes for everyone.  :)  She has never made pancakes.  This was going to be fun.  And, she insisted that she was going to do it herself.  OK then.  :)  I gave her the recipe and told her to "have at it"!  She was amazing!  The pancakes were very, very good!



(little does she know that she has a cooking gig every weekend from here on out!)  :)


I did have one thing on my agenda for today and that was to make a big crockpot of beef stew!  I got all of the ingredients together and in the pot by 8am.



By noon the entire house smelled awesome!
And, by noon,  my daughter decided that she wanted to bake cookies..... another first.  :)
And, yes, she wanted to make them herself.  So,  I found an easy sugar cookie recipe online. We checked to make sure that I had all of the ingredients and she went to work.



(yuk!  I need some new cookie pans!)


First pan ready for the oven!





And, for the second time today,  she did an amazing job!  I know that she looks like she is about 14 or so in these pics but, she is only 11.... pretty darn good for an 11 year old.... dontcha think??  :)



It's nice when such hard work pays off!  Cookies for Lunch.

So, the rest of the afternoon we cleaned up the kitchen and I did a little reading until it was time to get dinner on the table.  The stew turned out very good and I also made some homemade rolls to go along with it.  




YUM!  And very warm and comforting on such a cold winter day.




Yes, tha'ts my poor hubby shoveling the driveway.  Way to go, Honey!  :)

If you are wondering about a recipe for the Beef Stew, well..... there really isn't one.  I kind of made it up.  But, here are the ingredients that I used :

2 medium onions, sliced thinly
(about) 4 cups of baby carrots
4 large yukon gold potatoes diced into large pieces.
2 lbs of stew meat
2  (14.5 oz) cans of diced tomatoes
2 tsp. of dried thyme 
1 cup water
Salt and pepper to taste.  I am diabetic so I do not add salt.

I layered all of this into the crockpot in the order listed.  Cooked on low for 8 hours.

So,  that was our Sunday in a nutshell.  A good day of no planning and just kicking back and letting the day "happen".

4 comments:

  1. Looks like she did a very good job!
    Your beef stew looks good! I usually quirk my recipe on beef stew a little different each time. It never fails to disappoint though, and I usually make some sweet cornbread with it which is always a big hit! Hope you have a good week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the stew looks amazing ... as do the rolls.

    Your daughter so reminds me of my 12 y/o - she too will suddenly decide she wants to do something - and then goes for it! :) that's great!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for your daughter, and those rolls and stew look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, I love stew. Good job on your daughter's cooking, she did very well :)

    ReplyDelete